Promoter: IEFF - Incubadora de Empresas da Figueira da FozPartners:
Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa
Instituto Politécnico de Leiria
Universidade de Coimbra
Universidade de Évora
EEA Grants: 21.250,00€
Total Amount: 25.000,00€Programme:
Despite the recognized importance of intertidal rocky shores, there are still gaps in the conservation of the vast group of intertidal species, many of which are threatened by habitat destruction, climate change, pollution, and fishing. The bLueTIDE project proposes to increase the knowledge about, and the emotional bond with, these coastal systems, targeting elementary students and teachers from four geographic areas: Figueira da Foz / Sardoal, Peniche / Vila Nova da Barquinha, Setúbal / Santarém, and Sines / Évora.
The project will contribute to: i) strengthen the connection of children with the Ocean and motivate them for conservation, namely intertidal rocky shores; ii) promote the interaction between schools and ocean science researchers; iii) stimulate the cooperation between Blue Schools and non-Blue Schools; iv) foster students´ creativity, initiative, and communication skills; v) strengthen marine science-based teaching practices; and ultimately, vi) encourage the application of new Blue Schools.
Project activities include:
- Implementation of classroom sessions: “Intertidal: where the sea ends and the land begins”, with the aim of increasing the students’ knowledge about intertidal coastal ecosystems; “How to become a Blue School”, focused on how to develop an application and to be a Blue School; and “Think. Create. Play.”, where students will have the opportunity to produce materials and express their view of the Ocean.
- Organization of school visits to rocky shores.
- Organization of a beach party, to celebrate the biological diversity from the intertidal zones, implementing, on the beach, a set of group games, with students from Blue Schools and non-Blue Schools.
- Organization of teachers’ training courses in Ocean literacy.
- Production of digital resources for teachers.
- Participation in outreach activities and fairs and exhibitions, to raise awareness of the general public.