Visiting Oslo, it were assessed the main factors responsible for the success of this system:
- Simple and concise legislation made up of 6 articles only;
- high environmental tax, but inversely proportional to the capture rate, becoming zero for rates above 95%;
- obligation of all points of sale to accept and return packaging and to pay the deposit amount in cash;
- deposit amount not included in the product price, and without VAT;
- marking and control systems (deposit symbol and barcode);
- 100% producers responsibility; the value of the deposit system is not dependent on the material, presenting only two amounts depending on the size of the package and;
- adhesion to the system only for packaging that guarantees high standards of recycling and safety ("Design for Recycling").
It was possible to exchange information and points of view on the possible ways to implement the deposit system in Portugal and it became clear that there is no equal way for all countries, but simple legislation and a reasonable time gap between legislation is decisive and effective to the implementation of the system.