On April 9th and 10th, 2021, the event "Atlantic Observatory - New Developments and Future Prospects" will take place in the Azores.
Escola do Mar dos Açores will host, on the 10th, at 10h30 am, the public presentation of the pre-defined project "Atlantic Observatory – Data Infrastructure and Monitoring" of the Blue Growth Program (EEA Grants 2014-2021). This project foresees the creation and operationalization of an integrated and efficient oceanographic observation system that supports research and monitoring of the Atlantic Ocean and works as a portal for data access, information and services associated with the Atlantic basin, aiming at the protection, research, monitoring and socio-economic exploitation of Atlantic maritime areas.
The session will gather the following guest panel:
- Video message from Tove Bruvik Westberg, Ambassador of Norway in Lisbon
- Susana Ramos, Head National Focal Point of the EEA Grants 2014-2021
- Tanya Silveira, Portuguese Institute for Sea and Atmosphere - IPMA
- Luz Paramio, Regional Fund for Science and Technology - FRCT
- Rui Caldeira, ARDITI President
- Video message from Partners (from Donor States) - IMR, NTNU, UiB, MFRI
- Ventura Soares [TBC], General-Director of the Hydrographic Institute - IH
- João Gonçalves, President of Okeanos, University of the Azores
Following this presentation, it will be signed the Memorandum of Understanding for the establishment of a "Consortium of the Atlantic Observatory" among the partners:
- The University of the Azores - UAc
- The Portuguese Institute for Sea and Atmosphere I. P. - IPMA
- The Hydrographic Institute - IH
- The Association for the Development of the Atlantic International Research Centre - AIR Centre
- The Portuguese Task Group for the Extension of the Continental Shelf - EMEPC
- The Association for the Development and Formation of the Azores Sea
- The Regional Fund for Science and Technology - FRCT
- The Regional Agency for the Development of Research, Technology and Innovation - ARDITI
This moment will be attended by the Minister of Science, Technology and Higher Education, Manuel Heitor, the Minister of the Sea, Ricardo Serrão Santos and the President of the Regional Government of the Azores, José Manuel Cabral Dias Bolieiro.
Follow the streaming on Facebook of the Ministry of the Sea.