Promoter: Companhia de Música TeatralPartners:
Marvão International Academy for Music, Arts and Science
Fábrica Centro Ciência Viva de Aveiro
University of Bergen
EEA Grants: 18.930,00€
Total Amount: 22.270,00€Programme:
Advances in oceanic submersibles, imaging and sampling technologies are contributing to incredible biological and geological discoveries. Unravelling the mysteries of the deep Ocean is a challenge for the scientific community, but getting this information out to the general public, particularly teenagers, will help develop their critical thinking: a powerful tool for changing attitudes.
The Deep Listening Deep Sea(ing) project, through artistic experiments, intends to increase Ocean literacy by drawing attention to the deep Ocean as it is wider, less known and extremely important for life on Earth.
Project activities include:
- Elaboration of a catalogue of oceanic images collected in scientific research missions in the Portuguese and Norwegian deep ocean.
- Elaboration of a library of sound resources, using the Pianoscope, a sound factory where the piano becomes a collective instrument, capable of producing sounds of countless shapes and colours.
- Organization of workshops in which teenagers are invited to "imagine" the soundscapes of the deep Ocean and to create audiovisual postcards and soundtracks for the catalogued images/films, which results are publicly presented to the public. Prior to these workshops participating teenagers assist to a lecture by a deep Ocean scientist to set the stage.
- Organization of scientific lectures on the deep Ocean.
- Availability of materials produced in free online libraries.